The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley
I received a review copy of this book from the publisher through Library Thing's Member Giveaway program.

Overall, I found "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" to be fun little murder mystery. The book did start off a bit slow, but as other reviewers have noted, it definitely picks up as you go along. The actual mystery plot initially seems rather simple, but the circumstances are actually quite complicated. That said, I did not find myself getting lost in details at all.

Previous reviewers have mentioned that their reception of the book itself was in part reliant on their reception of the 11-year-old protagonist, Flavia de Luce. I myself happened like Flavia, possibly because she reminded me a bit of myself growing up-a nosy, know-it-all science geek who faces the torment of an older sister.

While I enjoyed the book overall, there were some weak points in my opinion. There are a lot of infodumps found in the story that disrupt some of the flow of the overall narrative. However, Bradley manages to keep these both clear and interesting; I was actually intrigued by the history of a postage stamp. There were also some loose ends and unanswered questions; the motive for one of the murders is never stated.

A good read overall.